iRacing is seeking a VFX artist to help create and maintain particle and other effects in our racing sim. As a VFX artist, you will be responsible for creating realistic and visually believable real-time effects for the racetracks, racecars, and other areas of our racing simulation game. Your work will breathe life into the game world and create a more immersive experience for the user.
- Create stunning VFX for the sim, including but not limited to: environmental VFX, weather effects, backfires, fireworks, and other various effects that combine to create the impression of a fully immersive real world.
- Prototype effect ideas while striving to innovate the effect process.
- Create 3D and 2D assets for use in your effects.
- Generation of flipbooks.
- Work directly with in-engine shader tuning.
- Extensive use of PopcornFX, the middleware particle system we’ve integrated with our sim.
- Optimize effects to run efficiently within the game while maintaining high quality standards.
- Partner closely with the team Art Director, Technical Art Director, engineering and other artists to come up with creative solutions to VFX requests.
- Ability to be a generalist and tackle multiple facets of a project.
- Collaborate with other FX artists to share techniques, assets and ideas.
- Identify and recommend new effects, techniques, and ways to improve the sim.
- Work with a dedicated team who is passionate about what they do.
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years experience as a professional game developer.
- Extensive use of PopcornFX (or equivalent VFX product)
- Experience working within a game engine to tune visual effects.
- Understanding of VFX asset costs and impact on performance.
- Strong understanding of how to create photo realistic effects.
- A good understanding of physics, motion and animation techniques.
- Mastery of software packages needed to create the artwork that supports these effects, such as Substance Designer, Substance Painter, Maya, 3DS Max, and Photoshop.
- Technically and creatively inclined with a strong artistic vision.
- Experience with Python and VEX a plus.
- BFA in the arts, or equivalent art training a plus.
- Understanding of motorsports a plus.
Location: Position is based in our Chelmsford, MA office. Candidate must possess any required visas or working papers to work in the United States
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Send your cover letter, portfolio, and resume to email@example.com
About the Company
The next generation of Racing
iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations, headquartered in Bedford, MA, was founded in September of 2004 by David Kaemmer, co-founder of Papyrus Racing Games, and John Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox. iRacing.com’s mission is to create the world’s leading and most authentic PC-based racing simulation and grow a new branch of motorsport through real-time, online competition – otherwise known as simracing. iRacing now has over 65,000 members and growing every day.
iRacing is always looking for talented individuals to join the team! We offer a rewarding culture and competitive salary and benefits.