Senior Technical Animator
Are you a Senior Technical Animator looking to work on unique and innovative AAA game experiences? Do you revel in problem-solving and working independently as well as in a collaborative team? You may be our next hire!
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, working on 2 completely unique projects including Sea of Thieves, our ultimate Pirate adventure and the recently announced Everwild.
As part of the Technical Animation team, you will work alongside animators and engineers to plan, develop and maintain in-game animation systems that augment the work of our animators to achieve higher standards of animation quality and quantity at runtime. As such, we are looking for an individual with a passion for both the creative and technical aspects of animation.
This role focuses on the rapidly evolving and innovative field of in-game animation technology, with a primary focus on animation implementation and runtime procedural animation systems across a wide variety of Rare's unique and stylised characters. We are also invested in ongoing R&D into new and emerging animation technology and middleware. This role is a real opportunity for a problem solver with a creative technical mindset.
- Implement animation within UE4 (e.g. via State Machines and Blueprint).
- Work closely with Animation, Engineering and Design to manage the overall look and feel of character movement in-game.
- Create runtime procedural animation systems to reduce animation workload and improve believability/readability of characters in-game.
- Support the Animation team with planning, knowledge sharing and general technical support.
- Participate in R&D into current and emerging animation technologies.
- Run performance testing and optimisation.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for use by internal and external teams.
- Plan, implement and maintain in-game technical animation solutions that are reliable, user-friendly and performant.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience maintaining animation State Machines within UE4 or comparable systems, e.g. Morpheme/Mecanim/Havok Behavior.
- Good fundamental knowledge of animation and the processes involved in creating animations.
- Knowledge of procedural runtime animation solutions such as FBIK/retargeting/ragdoll.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting/programming languages such as Python/C++/C#. Blueprints experience is desirable and basic C++ highly advantageous.
- A thorough knowledge of Unreal Engine, though experience with other engines such as Unity or CryEngine is acceptable.
- Knowledge of animation software such as Maya, MotionBuilder or 3ds Max.
- Shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Technical Animator or as an Animator with involvement in technical animation.
- A passion for both animation and animation technology.
- Able to take ownership and drive technical solutions independently and within a team.
- Experience in researching and evaluating animation middleware.
- Able to adapt to new technologies and pipelines.
- An interest in advanced tech such as neural networks/machine learning would be a distinct advantage.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects in the works at Rare! Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our other games include Rare Replay, a compilation of 30+ games from our rich history including Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata and many more! As a studio with a lot of ideas, we are always striving to build games players will adore and return to time and time again.
Set in the heart of the English countryside at our custom-built facility in Twycross, UK, we employ around 150+ game developers working together.
As an Artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgable people in the industry. Our artists are what make Rare's games so recognisable with an iconic style and characters cherished by players worldwide. Why not join us and make your mark on one of the world's most loved studios?