Rebellion North is seeking a talented and enthusiastic hands-on Lead Artist to lead the art team with a number of exciting game projects. This is a truly unique opportunity to have huge creative involvement over forthcoming game titles and to be part of Rebellion’s continued success and growth. The Lead Artist will guide a dedicated small team of artists at Rebellion’s North studio as well as having access to many more artists across Rebellion’s four UK games development studios.
In addition to demonstrating strong aesthetic flair and vision, the successful candidate will also need to work closely with the development team, ensuring that artwork is supporting the design process, is technically compliant and is respecting the project’s schedules.
This role is full-time based in-house at Rebellion’s North studio. We are open to both permanent or fixed-term employment but not freelance, agencies or remote working. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
Skills & Requirements
At least 3 years’ games industry art experience is required, including 1 year in a senior or lead role. Having completed a full production cycle on a published game title would be a bonus. Please include a link to your portfolio of examples demonstrating outstanding visual and technical ability.
- Overall responsibility for all artwork and artists at Rebellion North.
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example and successful teamwork, giving feedback and direction where needed.
- Hands-on contribution to artwork.
- Work closely with other disciplines of the development team to overcome issues and produce the best game titles.
- Plan and structure tasks and pipelines with efficiency.
- Keep up to date with game artwork trends and influences.
- Excellent artistic ability and direction, with strong and responsible leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Highly experienced and knowledgeable in 2D, 3D and PBR packages.
- Experience of working and implementing artwork to a game engine such as Unreal or Unity.
- Understanding of all art aspects required for 3d games, including environments, characters, 2D/GUI and animation.
- Understanding of the game development process as a whole, including technical limitations and optimisation.
- Ability to take the initiative, be highly disciplined and self-motivated.
- Collaborate productively within a multi-disciplined team environment, including designers and coders, communicating with both technical and non-technical staff across disciplines.
- Knowledge of other processes such as Photogrammetry, After Effects, Illustrator, Video editing etc is a bonus.
- A genuine interest in playing games.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
You can apply now via this link - https://apply.workable.com/rebellion-1/j/359BF87636/apply
About the Company
Rebellion are one of Europe's largest independent game developers working on great games, including some of the top franchises in the world, for top publishers and on a range of formats covering Xbox One, PlayStation 4, PC, and VR.
We have studios in Oxford, Liverpool and Warwick in the United Kingdom, and also publish the legendary 2000AD comic featuring Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors and many more characters.
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Hours: flexible start and finish times
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 3%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction Bonus: £2k or more for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Free Stuff: Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, Autodesk home licence for 3D artists (for personal use only, we actively discourage working from home!), digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 10 minute walk to train station and 20 minute walk to city centre