Lead VFX Artist
- Work with the Development Management Team to execute the determined style and tone of visual effects for the final product
- Responsible, as an individual contributor, for creating high quality exemplar real-time visual effects that set the standard for the team both in-game and in cinematics
- Champion the project’s goals and inspire the VFX team to achieve the vision, through actionable tasks.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, and the Technical Art staff on VFX pipeline
- Coordinate with Development Management Team to understand the evolving needs of the studio
- Evaluate and promote the use of appropriate techniques and systems to support VFX goals and to keep the team up to date with industry standards
- Develop and implement quality assurance protocols to review and approve VFX work
- Anticipate and recognize potential conflicts or production issues and recommend solutions
- Mentor a team of VFX artists, supporting and promoting a growth mindset amongst the staff.
- Handle performance evaluations, bonus reviews, and any necessary disciplinary plans for direct reports
- Recommend promotions for individuals within the team
- Responsible for having 1-1 meetings to understand the career goals for individuals within the group
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a robust portfolio of high-quality real-time VFX work in a variety of styles
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and creativity in developing effects to support art direction and theme as defined by Art Director
- Leadership Skills:
- Self-starter with proactive attitude to improve own qualifications
- Passion for sharing insights and ability to coach less experienced people
- Excellent communication, organizational, personal, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage teams, provide leadership, and creatively solve problems
- Deep knowledge of the effects production-pipeline
- Understanding of effects performance and memory optimization
- Gameplay scripting of effects
- Solid math skills
- Working knowledge of pixel and vertex shaders for VFX
- Traditional animation experience a plus
- Technical Experience with VFX for video game software:
- Expert-level experience with real-time FX editor such as Unity, UDK, Popcorn FX, etc.
- High proficiency with 2D FX such as After Effects/Trapcode Particular, ToonBoom, etc.
- High proficiency with simulation software such as Houdini, Maya Fluids, BiFrost, Fume FX, etc.
- High proficiency with Maya for modeling and texturing
- Substance Designer and Painter
- Experience writing HLSL/GLSL shaders is a plus
- FX artist credit on several shipped titles
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject; or completion of an intensive art training program; or equivalent independent study and experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans....valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.