Lead Material Artist
Insomniac Games is looking for a talented Lead Material Artist; someone who's eager to set the quality bar for the creation of textures and meeting the aesthetic target set by the art director/s for each project. They'll oversee a team of Material Artists, who create textures and materials for the environments/characters and are the main liaison between the environment/character and material team. They'll set the example to team in the creation of art assets, displaying a mastery of current technology and tools pipeline and managing departmental production dependencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with the Art Director/s to adhere to and set aesthetic standards for materials on each project.
- Works closely with the Lead Environment/Character Artist and Lead Graphics Technical Artist to adhere to and set technical standards for each project.
- Collaborates with the Environment/Character teams to apply physically based or stylized materials on assets that provide the desired look and feel of the art direction of the project
- Sets studio standards by creating high quality materials and textures in Substance Designer that are performant and aid in environment artist efficiency
- Demonstrates ability to work on both stylized and realistic projects
- Demonstrates ability to work on organic and inorganic environment materials.
- Provides direction to Material Artists, Environment/Character Artists, and/or Outsource Artists for materials and texture considerations
- Ensures consistency and quality of all materials and textures created for environments/characters
- Assists in debugging and optimizing existing shaders and textures
- Continually pushes aesthetic and technical standards to set the industry standard.
- Standardizes and documents processes and pipelines for Material team.
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: The Lead Material Artist schedules the team, reviews work for quality, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Skills & Requirements
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree from a college or university; or seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Multiple titles shipped preferred.
- Expert knowledge in Substance Designer, Painter and Zbrush.
- Expert knowledge in creating tiling and unique textures representing a variety of material types.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and UV mapping.
- Expert knowledge of real time rendering, Physically Based Shading, hand painted and stylized material generation techniques, image manipulation and compression techniques.
- Understanding of Lighting and Photography and how they apply to modern rendering techniques is a plus.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
If this is the opportunity that you have been looking for, we'd like to hear from you.
Please use this link - https://recruiting.adp.com/srccar/public/RTI.home?c=1155951&d=External&r=5000499661406#/ to submit your application directly to our careers page.
About the Company
Insomniac Games is an independent videogame developer that has released acclaimed hits for consoles, virtual reality, PC, mobile devices and browser for 25 years, selling more than 60 million video games along the way. We created the Ratchet & Clank and Spyro the Dragon franchises, beloved by millions around the world. Beyond Ratchet and Spyro, Insomniac Games is the team behind several well-known game franchises such as Resistance, Sunset Overdrive, and acclaimed virtual reality games Edge of Nowhere and The Unspoken. Our completely original take on Marvel’s Spider-Man, exclusively for PS4 has been a smash critical and commercial hit. Since its September 2018 release, Marvel’s Spider-Man has earned a multitude of Game of the Year nominations while becoming one of PlayStation’s all-time fastest-selling first-party games.
Insomniac is based in beautiful Burbank, CA where the sun shines just about every day of the year, and we have a bustling studio in Durham, North Carolina. Today, the studio has grown to 250-plus hard-working, creative individuals, but we still hold onto the feel of a small indie developer. And when it comes to treating our employees right- it’s no mistake that Insomniac Games has won 20 Best Workplace Awards. We value our employees, as we are only as strong as the people who work with us! So how about becoming a part of this amazing, collaborative team? Check us out at insomniac.games, we look forward to hearing from you!