Prop / Technical Artist (Temporary Assignment)
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh Services.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States for this position.
The prop (or foreground) team is responsible for the creation, rigging, and support of all non-character animating objects in the game. This includes weapons, props, vehicles, and dynamic simulations and interactions with level (background) geometry.
Most foreground artists are versatile Maya generalists, but also have specializations in different areas that fall under the team’s realm of responsibilities. Some foreground artists are technical or rigging specialists, others are modelers and texture artists, and some specialize in dynamic set-ups. Through this diversity of specializations, the team supports each other in different ways, actively distributing and sharing the overall workload.
- Work with geometry provided from another source (such as the background, character team, or outsource), but also have the proficiency to create or correct it as needed. Substance Painter and Photoshop are the primary texturing tools of choice, with an increased reliance on Painter for outputting maps appropriate for a physical-shader based material pipeline
- Set-up of real-time destructibles and bumpables using Havok, including breaking up the mesh, creation of an appropriate rig and collision, generating/repairing UVs, and implementation in-game
- For pre-simulated effects - breaking up provided geometry, rigging, and running a dynamic simulation in Maya or Houdini
- Cloth and rope animations - using real-time dynamics in-game, Maya, or Marvelous Designer, depending on the situation
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed
Skills & Requirements
Requirements & Skills:
- Solid foundation of Maya modeling and texturing tools and pipeline
- Ability to create a high quality, game resolution, texture-mapped, PBR-shaded 3D model from concept art or photo-reference
- Good communication skills and a great customer-service attitude to interface and collaborate effectively with all other disciplines
- Ability to stay organized and prioritize tasks according to their urgency
- Work efficiently and be proactive in seeking out new tasks and ways to help the team and the production
- Must be able to provide a demo reel or examples of professional work (Online Preferred), a breakdown of your contributions to the shots, and an accompanying resume
- Experience texturing in Substance Painter
- Substance Painter proficiency
- ZBrush proficiency
- Maya advanced rigging or Character Rigging
- Experience writing Maya Mel or Python tools
- Experience working with remote artists or Outsourcing
- Prior shipped games or team projects
As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website: Prop / Technical Artist (Temporary Assignment)
The Recruiting Process
We feel it is important to let you know how the recruiting process works here at Naughty Dog. Here is what you can expect from us:
- Upon submission, you will receive an automated message stating your resume has been received and will be reviewed thoroughly by our recruiting team.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, it is not possible to respond directly to each candidate.
- If you are selected, you will be contacted for an initial phone screen or test.
- The next step is a second phone or Skype interview, or an invite to come out and meet us at the studio.
- In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know.
- If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file for future consideration.
Thank you for your interest in Naughty Dog.
About the Company
Naughty Dog is the developer of some of the most critically acclaimed and top-selling video games on PlayStation platforms, having created the classic Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter series, as well as modern franchises Uncharted and The Last of Us. We have become recognized as industry leaders for our storytelling, graphics and cinematic quality in our games. The studio is currently developing The Last of Us Part II.
Naughty Dog is also home to Sony World Wide Studios’ ICE Team, a central technology group that focuses on creating core graphics technologies for Sony’s worldwide first-party published titles, including low-level game engine components, graphics processing pipelines, supporting tools, and graphics profiling and debugging tools.
Since Naughty Dog is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment, we also have many perks that comes from being in the Sony family – movie screenings on the Sony Pictures lots and discounts on electronics, music, movies and PlayStation hardware and software. Of course, you just can’t beat our location. Naughty Dog is based near the ocean – and beaches – in Santa Monica, California, where beautiful weather and fair temperatures grace us year-round.