Reporting to the art director or the technical lead, and working closely with the programming team and the character and environment team leads, the technical artist designs and implements the tools that are necessary to maintain the production team's creation process. The technical artist helps maintain an efficient production pipeline that respects the established production deadlines as well as the constraints related to performance that are essential to ensuring the global vision for the game is adhered to.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Identifying and resolving issues related to the process of artistic creation
- Analyzing constraints and needs, and defining technical directives while sharing them in a clear manner with the whole team
- Suggesting efficient production methods that are in keeping with the initial guidelines and budgets/constraints (memory/size of the game)
- Creating, maintaining and documenting tools/scripts dedicated to production needs
- Training artists in new production techniques and ensuring that those methods are compatible with the constraints of the game engine
- Making sure that the elements produced are compatible with the various target platforms and that they are properly integrated and have the intended impact on performance
- Ensuring that there is proper monitoring of the technical and artistic processes
- Maintaining a superior level of quality
Skills & Requirements
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Solid educational background: advanced mathematics (algebra; matrix, integral and differential calculus), physical principles both mechanical and organic, colour theory, lighting, composition, etc.
- Excellent understanding of rendering and lighting techniques, and complete knowledge of engine-related constraints on mobile platforms
- Broad knowledge of the visual arts and interest in recent innovation within the field (real-time shading techniques / digital special effects in post-production / academic research)
- Versatile and able to adapt to various visual styles/worlds
- Mastery of the various 3D/2D graphic-production software packages and different game engines
- Knowledge of material-authoring/geometry solutions (Substance Designer, Houdini)
- Understanding of the main scripting languages used in production (Lua, Python, MAXscript, etc.)
- Knowledge of OpenGL ES, and the technical constraints associated with development on current mobile platforms (performance/memory)
- Knowledge of the process behind conventional graphics-production languages (GLSL, HLSL, CG, etc.)
- Knowledge of C++, C#
- Complete understanding of the classic and physical (PBR) rendering/lighting models
- Mastery of the basics of modeling, texturing and post-effects production
- Able to simplify complex or technical ideas
- Analytical nature, able to persevere until complex problems are solved
- Strong organizational skills and excellent ability to communicate/listen
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Apply directly on our website!
About the Company
Leader in the development and publishing of mobile games, Gameloft® has established itself as one of the top innovators in its field since 2000. Gameloft creates games for all digital platforms and with an audience of 140 million monthly users offers via Gameloft Advertising Solutions a unique level of visibility and involvement to advertisers. Gameloft operates its own established franchises such as Asphalt®, Order & Chaos, Modern Combat and Dungeon Hunter and also partners with major rights holders including Universal, Illumination Entertainment, Disney®, Marvel®, Hasbro®, Fox Digital Entertainment, Mattel® and Ferrari®. Gameloft distributes its games in over 100 countries and employs 6,000 people worldwide. Gameloft is a Vivendi company.
All trademarks referenced above are owned by their respective trademark owners.