Lead Character Artist
Based in Guildford, Wargaming UK is looking for an exceptionally skilled Lead Character Artist to assist in the creation of the next big free-to-play title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world.
The candidate will have to be a hardworking self-motivated team player who is able to work closely with the Art Director and Art Manager to create and be responsible for large sections of the game.
They will need to possess excellent verbal and written skills and be able to both take critique and give feedback to external partners as well as fully participating in group discussions.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a good sense of humour who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team and studio culture.
Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
The Lead Character Artist will report to the Art Manager.
What will you do?
- Create stunning 3D characters
- Translate concept and reference artwork into 3D game assets as required, setting a high-quality bar
- Help design, construct, document and implement pipeline procedures
- Prototype new techniques and processes
- Create high-poly and low-poly models and accompanying texture sets that use advanced shaders
- Work closely with the Art Manager to review and critique asset deliveries and set quality benchmarks for internal and external teams
- Supervise the Character Team
- Collaborate with the Art Director to deliver innovation and drive quality
- Assist the Art Manager in planning within this discipline
Skills & Requirements
What are we looking for?
- 7+ years production art experience in the gaming industry
- At least 3+ published games
- Proven ability to create exceptional stylised and realistic character models
- Outstanding skill in a digital sculpting package – Z-Brush
- Exceptional knowledge of 3ds Max or Maya
- High level expertise in Substance painter
- Significant Unreal 4 development experience with at least one released title
- A great eye for detail, natural flair & a strong understanding of composition & colour theory
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and be able to both take critique and give feedback internally and externally in a professional manner
- Diligent self-management around both individual and team tasks, schedule and budgets.
- Strong organizational skills with adherence to optimization and asset management.
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Understanding of anatomy
- Traditional art skills (drawing, painting, sculpting, photography)
- Concept skills – Ability to visualize and concept with this discipline
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience.
- Samples of your work displaying clean High Poly to Low Poly bakes, strong understanding of material variation and stylised texturing.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
How to Apply
To apply please follow this link: https://grnh.se/e89d1f691
About the Company
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Delivering legendary games since 1998, Wargaming has grown to become one of the leaders in the free-to-play MMO gaming industry with 4500+ employees and more than 20 offices globally. Over 200 million players enjoy Wargaming’s titles across all major gaming platforms, including the massively popular World of Tanks and World of Warships.
Working in our company means always having interesting challenges and gaining valuable experience while working with top-class experts.
Take your place among our passionate and experienced team and bring out the best in yourself at Wargaming!