Principal Environment Artist
We are nDreams, an award-winning independent developer and publisher, delivering world-leading interactive VR experiences. Our new VR projects are a leap forward for the studio and we are looking for talented people to help turn them into a reality.
We’ve recently announced our latest title, Phantom: Covert Ops, a stealth action game redefined for virtual reality and once you’ve seen what we’re up to, we’re convinced you’ll want to be involved…Our expanding AAA development team needs is looking for a creative Art Director to take ownership of vision and execution of new and world leading IP. Can you demonstrate experience wielding and weaving the various disciplines to create truly awe-inspiring content, gameplay and visuals? Are you able to integrate and communicate your vision to all stake holders involved?
Are you an experienced artist looking to build amazing new worlds? Our Art Director Glenn is searching for a talented Principal Environment Artist to become a pivotal part of our growing VR studio. In this role you’ll be responsible for creating believable and coherent game worlds and inspiring the team around you to ensure we’re delivering incredible virtual reality games and experiences.
What Will You Be Doing?
- Conceiving and visualising core concepts for remarkable in-game environments.
- Collaborating closely with level designers to evangelise worlds that are built from the outset to fuse great creative and design, in order to deliver outstanding creative gameplay.
- Effectively compose lighting, set dressing, atmosphere and more, to craft coherent and believable worlds that excite and emote the player. Work closely with other disciplines (VFX, audio, character etc.) to bring these to life in a holistic way.
- Mentoring through example – inspire both the environment team and members of the wider studio to see your vision, learn from it and drive the creative beyond what’s gone before.
Skills & Requirements
- An environment artist adept in creating cohesive and believable worlds across different styles and multiple shipped products. Highly experienced - 4 years + and/or a relevant degree or equivalent qualification.
- Someone who is self-driven and autonomous with the proven ability to interpret and translate art direction consistently, and with a strong sense of composition, lighting, form and colour.
- Highly experienced environment artist, with creative and efficient knowledge of real-time engines (e.g. UE4) and relevant tools (Maya, Z-Brush etc.). Ability to utilise a wide array of techniques in varied ways for 3D asset creation.
- An experienced team player with strong communication skills and a well-tempered and consistent attitude. Ability to effectively critique their own and others work, both respectfully and in way that inspires them to strive for quality.
- Strong illustrative and storyboarding skills are not essential but are a bonus when integrated into the world building process.
How to Apply
We are looking for permanent and fixed term contractors based in our modern studio in Farnborough, UK, within easy commuting distance from London and Guildford. Salary is competitive and dependent on your experience.
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Company
We’re nDreams, one of the world’s leading independent VR developers. You may know us from our recent titles Shooty Fruity and The Assembly, or even as a leading developer back on PlayStation Home and we can’t wait to show everyone what we’re up to next. Our new VR projects are a leap forward for the studio and we are looking for talented people to help turn them into a reality.
Why Join nDreams?
The team at nDreams encourages an open, creative and diverse culture. As part of our growing studio you’ll be empowered to explore your ideas and put your own stamp on the titles you work on.
We offer some great perks, including flexible core hours, share options, 20 days holiday (increasing yearly to a maximum of 25 days), two duvet days, a day off to celebrate your birthday and various monthly socials (including Breakfast Butty Monday and Free Drink Friday)! Our welcoming, open plan office has some great facilities with a cycle station, showers and more all on site.