Lead Environment Artist [Brighton, UK]
LEAD ENVIRONMENT ARTIST, Brighton, UK
work with the Art Director and other Leads to ensure artistic unity across the game
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based at our Brighton location, who partner with the other Hangar 13 sites to develop all of our games as one global team. Hangar 13’s Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games in the coolest city in the UK!
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is looking for an experienced Lead Environment Artist to help lead a team of artists, creating 3D environments that are both visually stunning and have great gameplay opportunities. The ideal candidate should be able to create a fulfilling 3D space, working closely with Design to ensure both game metrics and architecture mesh together. This is an amazing opportunity to work side-by-side with great talent to establish Hangar 13’s newest team location.
What You Will Do:
- Work with Art Director and other Leads to ensure artistic unity across the game
- Collaborate with Design and Narrative leads to create stunning and believable environments
- Design and work out the details of modular systems of architecture for levels
- Provide objective feedback, and establish development schedules.
- Managed the day-to-day activities of the Art Environment Team
- Mentor and help with career development to assigned team members
- Create and manage asset lists in collaboration with internal partner teams
- Review assets from external vendors
Skills & Requirements
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- 5 or more years of experience in internal game development with an emphasis on environmental art or level architecture
- At least 2 shipped titles, experience with AAA open world titles preferred
- Prior experience leading other artists and managing their goal-setting and performance
- Exceptional communication skills
- Ability to communicate and collaborate across multiple locations effectively
- Desirable Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent
- Knowledge of 3D Studio Max, ZBrush and Photoshop
- Recent use of industry standard game editors
- Experience with industry-standard asset management tools
- Ability to inspire and bring out talent in others
- Attention to detail
- Classic drawing or painting techniques with the ability to sketch out ideas on paper
- Good sense of spatial composition and proportions
- Understanding of basic architecture
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Let's talk some truth: Making games is hard. It's a collision of art and technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There's no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint—but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. "Every Player's Story is Unique." At Hangar 13, that's why we make games. We’re currently creating an intense action game set in an immersive world and with a strong narrative, but player agency is at the heart of everything we do. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.
Hangar 13 is the newest 2K development studio. We’re focused on creating AAA games for console and PC. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. We are located just thirty minutes north of San Francisco and in production on our first title, Mafia III, available October 7, 2016. We’re currently building our own proprietary engine and tools in service of our next AAA title, still unannounced.