Lighting Artist - UK
The Lighting Artist will work in a co-operative, cross-disciplinary team environment, possessing solid artistic skills, including a thorough understanding of colour theory, composition, light and form. They should have experience with a 3D CG package, demonstrating a solid understanding of rendering, lighting, shading networks, polygonal modeling and texture UV's.
Skills & Requirements
- Involved in look-development around key surfaces and shaders, to ensure lighting delivers against visual reference.
- Creating both the exterior and interior lighting within environments and cut scenes
- Placing and adjustment of light sources within the environment
- Tweaking of shading materials and textures to improve the perception of the lighting
- Post processing, colour grading, exposure, SSAO, bloom, tone mapping curves etc.
- Contributing to the development and placement of special effects related to lighting and atmosphere, such as light flares, fog, god rays, and camera optics
- Prototyping the use of lighting technology to reach the visual targets defined by the art direction
- International travel may be required as part of the role
Experience & Skills
- Deep understanding of CG lighting technology, both real-time and software rendering
- Strong sense of lighting theory, colour space, exposure, light fixtures, natural light, reflections etc.
- Good understanding of cinematography and dramaturgy - the use of camera technology, scene blocking and lighting to set the mood
- Good understanding and experience with physical based lighting system
- Being pro-active in the use of lighting as a powerful tool in gameplay clarity. For example; to guide the player forward, highlight objectives and enemies
- An ability to thoroughly digest the art direction and be a champion for executing it in the game
- Skilled at balancing visual quality against performance requirements
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process
- Working knowledge of Maya and/or other commerical 3D authoring packages
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAAexperiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.