About Splash Damage
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships amongst our players and our staff by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences. We only team up with the world’s leading partners and have worked with many of gaming’s most beloved universes over the years.
Our studio culture is built around autonomy, friendliness, and constant learning, and we look after our talent with a comprehensive benefits package. The Sunday Times named Splash Damage the UK’s 47th Best Company to Work For in 2018, and we’ve been awarded their Best Companies accreditation four years running. We also believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
We are currently working on several exciting titles for PC and consoles, including Gears 5, Gears Tactics, and a few that haven’t been announced yet. Come join us!
We’re kicking off an exciting new project here at Splash Damage and so we’re looking for a Character Artist to join the team to bring heroes and villains to life!
As Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Director and be responsible for creating and maintaining high quality characters for our project.
- Collaborate with Art and Design Directors to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
- Ensuring character assets meet specifications provided by all relevant departments
- Able to accurately follow common goals putting the team first, whilst self-motivated and demonstrating initiative.
- Keep the artistic style & mood consistent with our defined visual style
- Maintain quality level, efficiency and consistency across the character team
Perks and Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Private medical insurance that will covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday.
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games / shooting people in the face and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experienced and proficient with 3D Studio MAX or Maya, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Strong 3D modeling (both organic and hard surface) and texturing skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy and mechanics
- Strong knowledge of mechanical construction and functionality (gear and weapons)
- Experience of character pipelines and efficient memory management of UVs, textures, and vertices
- Experienced working with multiple texturing workflows for current (PBR) and capable of creating well defined and readable realistic materials in Substance.
- Examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour, and lighting
- Understanding of character preparation from modeling, rigging and skinning for animation
- A keen motive to be proactive and efficient in work methods whilst maintaining high standards
- A great team player, able to communicate, learn from and teach others in a respectable manner.
- Excellent communication and collaborative problem-solving skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experienced in developing character models and textures
- Minimum 1 shipped console/PC title where credited as a character artist
- Minimum 3 years of games industry experience
- Knowledge of real-time shaders and optimisation
- Strong traditional art foundations including but not limited to Sculpture, Conceptual design, and illustration including lighting or colour keys
- Knowledge of rigging and skinning principles
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art.
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4
- Knowledge of Marvellous Designer a plus
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply on our careers page : https://careers.splashdamage.com/job/oE6l9fwY
We review every application which is sent to us and due to the amount we receive this can often cause a delay in our feedback response. Please provide your CV, Portfolio ( if necessary ) and a Cover Letter. As we receive hundreds of applications for our live roles try to make your application stand out from the rest, show us something fun and unique which really displays your character and assets!
About the Company
Splash Damage is famous for crafting blockbuster multiplayer experiences from our studio in Greater London. Our recent projects include multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb and Gears of War 4.
We're currently expanding for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented, passionate superstars to help build them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times’s Best Companies accreditation four years running, placing in the Top 100 Best Companies in 2018. Come join us!