Technical Artist (all levels) (m/f/d)
Being part of a small but growing art team you will work in a positive and productive environment on a new state of the art 3D sci-fi-console-game. Collaboration and mutual feedback will help you to grow both on a professional as well as on a personal level.
Everyone at DS Fishlabs shares one common goal: to create a great visual experience on consoles.
In a relaxed environment where team members have the time to learn from each other, and everyone plays an important role in the development of our upcoming state of the art games.
And of course, if you come from abroad, you will benefit from our relocation support.
You love tackling new and interesting technical challenges head-on. You are bursting with ideas to push the boundaries of what is possible on current and next generation hardware. Sometimes you get unreasonably excited about bar charts. Your passion for creating cool visuals drives you to constantly learn or even develop new techniques.
As a Technical Artist at DS Fishlabs, you play a pivotal role in our game development process. As part of our Tech Art team, you will be the bridge between the programming, design, and art teams to help align the technical requirements with the visual goals of the project.
- Find and develop creative solutions to complex and varied technical challenges.
- Support artists, designers, and other team members by creating tools, defining conventions, rapid prototyping, and troubleshooting technical issues with Unreal Engine 4.
- Establish, maintain, support, and improve asset pipelines with tools and documentation.
- Work with the art and engineering teams to reduce scene complexity to reach and maintain target performance on all target platforms, without compromising visual fidelity.
- Understand complex technical issues and communicate them to relevant stakeholders.
Skills & Requirements
For a Technical Artist position, a high level of technical knowledge combined with strong creative and visual instincts is critical. An excellent candidate has a thorough understanding of many different parts of the game development process and can effectively communicate with all departments.
We strongly encourage interested applicants to apply, even if they feel they do not meet enough of the following criteria:
- Strong overall familiarity with Unreal Engine 4.
- Detail-oriented with strong, systematic problem-solving skills.
- At least 2 years of experience working with Unreal Engine.
- Worked on at least one game project for the majority of its production cycle (from concept to shipping) in a technical art or related role.
- Good understanding of several of these Unreal Engine 4 subsystems:
- Profiling & optimization
- Editor scripting
- Particle Systems
- Post-processing & color grading
- Level composition
- Plugin development
- Ability to self-manage, provide realistic time estimations, meet deadlines, and responsibly react to unexpected complications.
- English language proficiency and very good communication skills, both verbal and written, are required.
- Experience working in one or more 3D packages such as Modo, 3dsMax, Maya, ZBrush, or Blender
- Houdini experience, e.g. as part of a production pipeline or for simulation/VFX
- Experience working with current-gen consoles like XBox One and PlayStation 4
- Experience with Substance Designer to create realistic PBR materials
- Scripting experience in Python or comparable scripting languages.
- Technical background with hands-on experience in programming, preferably in C++
- Academic degree or work experience in art, architecture, interior design or industrial design
- Experience with other game engines such as Unity, CryEngine, Frostbite, or Snowdrop
- An eye for composition and cinematography
We are just as passionate about our games as we are about their creators (Could that be you?!). Your job comes with personal responsibility, freedom and short decision-making routes. And most importantly - A motivated, international team full of fellow gamers.
The studio is located in a bright, modern office, right in the center of Hamburg. With a selection of benefits for all our staff: Including discounted gym membership, fresh fruit and a variety of free drinks. A healthy work-life balance is important to you? For us too! That’s why we are also awarded as a family-friendly workplace. Coming from abroad? No problem! We also offer relocation packages.
Sounds good? Take a look here: www.dsfishlabs.com
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Did we spark your interest? We are looking forward to your application. Simply click here and apply with just one click by linking your LinkedIn Profile or uploading your CV.
If you have any further documents which you think might be worth sharing to underline your background and talents, we are happy to receive them as well. If you have questions regarding the application just drop us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. An application via our online tool is preferred.
About the Company
For more than 15 years Deep Silver FISHLABS has been creating compelling games that have been brought to life on millions of screens across the globe. We joined the Deep Silver / Koch Media family in late 2013 and, since then, we have continuously raised the quality bar. Today, we are one of three internal development studios run by our parent company, alongside Deep Silver Volition in the US and Deep Silver Dambuster Studio in the UK.
We specialize in high-end 3D games for consoles and PC. With a strong development history and award-winning portfolio of mobile games; such as blockbuster space-action shooter Galaxy on Fire: Manticore and the tactical zombie brawler Dead Island: Survivors; we are currently developing thrilling titles for the PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch.