The position of Lead Lighter requires someone with a thorough knowledge of 3D software, with several years of experience in a similar supervisory role working on broadcast or film projects.
Successful applicants will have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
They will have a well-developed 'eye', a good working knowledge of art, design and film as well as a solid technical grounding in Maya and Mental Ray is a must. They will be expected to contribute to the Project’s lighting Pipeline.
Skills & Requirements
- Establish key lighting set-ups for locations and characters working closely with art Director to set the required look.
- Shade and Surface key CG assets ensuring they adhere to lighting pipeline and meet art director’s visual requirements.
- Work with the Lighting Supervisor to ensure the project’s lighting pipeline is reliable and economical and is adhered to throughout production.
- Provide regular progress updates to production manager and 3D supervisor on any technical/workflow bottlenecks within the lighting and shading schedule.
- Supervise the quality control (both technically and visually) of the external asset assignments and ensure the outsource partner has clear direction from a lighting and shading perspective.
- Define, document and communicate standards and techniques for lighting that maximizes efficiency and ensures a consistent quality under the technical specifications of the project.
- Provide leadership and support for the in-house and external lighting teams, both creatively and technically, to facilitate the completion of lighting assignments on schedule.
- Collaborate with the 3D & Lighting Supervisor to make requests for studio pipeline tool enhancements.
- Approve or complete retake notes on CG Asset’s lighting and shading submissions via Shotgun when required.
- Train Junior Lighters on the project.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience working as a Lighter (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work.
- Must be comfortable with outsource management with an emphasis on clear communication and follow through.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of lighting in Maya.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Mental Ray (Equivalent production renderer will be taken into account).
- Must be proficient in shading and surfacing materials using Mental ray shaders(preferably BBF’s shading suite).
- Must have a good “eye” and a thorough understanding of light, color, contrast, shading, and lighting design.
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive.
- Must be open to direction.
- Must be proficient in Nuke.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail in the finishing of assets and shots.
- Knowledge of Python (and/or Mel) is considered a big plus.
- Experience with shotgun (or asset tracking systems) is considered a big plus.
- Experience in lighting pipeline development a big plus.
- Ability to train Junior Artists on the project.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Click HERE to apply.
About the Company
Brown Bag Films are one of Europe’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios and is part of the 9 Story Media Group, with locations in Toronto, Dublin, Manchester, New York and Bali.
Making stand out/exceptional content for kids is at the heart of everything we do, and our bar is always set to “excellent” when it comes to the quality of our work. Our studios are highly collaborative spaces, where mentoring and on the job training is built into our daily practices. Our team members benefit from competitive compensation packages, working on award-winning 2D and 3D content, a thriving work culture and maybe too much cake!
We recently celebrated Brown Bag Films Dublin's 25th Birthday!
See how we've grown.....