Character Artist - Contract with possibility of future hire
We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer with a passion for the unconventional. We make innovative games in a variety of genres with accessibility and depth to delight our audiences, no matter who they are. We believe in maintaining a creative, collaborative, and diverse team environment at our studio, and we are looking for passionate and capable people to join our team of experienced AAA console developers.
We are looking to hire a mid to senior-level contract character artist to come and help us make awesome content for Knockout City!
- Create high definition, game-ready 3D models of outfits, hairs, gloves, glasses, faces, vehicles, and props
- Collaborate with leads, team members, and across disciplines to ensure assets are high-quality, support the artistic direction of our projects, and are fully optimized for target platforms.
- Help ensure assets created to fit with the world of Knockout City
- Receive feedback and modify work based on direction.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience with and examples of creating stylized character art
- 3+ years of industry experience as a Character Artist, or other relevant experience.
- Expertise in modeling, sculpting, topology, and texturing and material work for characters.
- Ability to create high-quality characters based on existing concept art in addition to working with the animation team with the goal of creating high quality, expressive characters.
- Solid understanding of modern PBR material authoring techniques
- Advanced understanding of ZBrush, Maya, Adobe Photoshop, Substance Painter, and/or other game production tools.
- Experience working in Unreal, Unity or other AAA Game Development Engines.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Self-direction, passion, and creativity in your work.
- A receptiveness to feedback and the ability to act successfully on direct critique.
- Concept and creative ideation (2D or 3D).
- Experience with character customization pipelines.
- Prop, vehicle modeling, and/or environment creation.
- A strong sense of stylization.
- Rigging, skinning, and animation experience.
- Leadership and/or mentoring experience.
- Working remotely is an option
How to Apply
We value a diverse development team at Velan Studios. We will consider both veteran and early-career stage artists for this role.
Portfolio required. Please include a variety of examples of your work, with both high- and low-poly samples.
To apply for this position, send your send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to reference the position you’re applying for in the subject line.
About the Company
About Velan Studios:
Velan Studios’ mission is to create ground-breaking game experiences centered on new forms of play across both existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios is an independent studio comprised of a diverse team of seasoned developers who have worked at various AAA studios like Vicarious Visions, Naughty Dog, Harmonix, Nintendo, Disney/Pixar, Toys For Bob, Avalanche Studios, Retro Studios and more. Velan Studios is based in Troy, NY.