Vehicle Art Director
Cloud Imperium is looking for a talented vehicle art director to be the driving force for developing the vehicles of Star Citizen. This role requires a dedicated and dynamic individual who can excel both as an artist and as a team leader. As a leader, they will serve as a motivational catalyst for the entire art team producing the masses of vehicles both Star Citizen and Squadron 42 require. As an artist, they will provide both inspiration and direction to execute on the look and feel of an entire fleet of ships and ground vehicles.
- Create concept paintings, models, textures, and other benchmark assets that inspire others. You will lead and drive by example
- Provide visual solutions to problems while working in collaboration with other members of the game team, including artists, designers, and engineers
- Partner with principal staff to own and define assigned aspects of the project as directed
- Excellent ability to provide art direction to multiple disciplines
- Work directly with production to ensure that schedules and plans meet business and project needs
- Partner with art leads to ensure that the team is unified and working towards a common vision and established goals
- Collaborate with game designers to ensure that art appropriately enhances the player experience
- Ability to develop new approaches to art that push the visual fidelity of the Star Citizen universe
- Mentor and manage members of the Art Team, helping them to refine their skills and move along their career paths
- Review and approve assets to ensure that quality standards are met and visual consistency is maintained
- Provide clear and constructive feedback to artists on their work
This position is offered at our Wilmslow Studio by Cloud Imperium Games Ltd.
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience creating unparalleled artwork for games and film
- At least 5 years’ experience as a lead artist or art director
- A genuine passion for space simulation and sci-fi
- Proven track record of taking the initiative to solve complex problems with excellent follow through
- Ability to collaborate in a fast-paced environment and work effectively with studios across the globe
- Expertise in creating a unique and cohesive art style that can be shared and consistently maintained across the project
- Experience with both 2D and 3D art pipelines
- Ability to create and optimize art pipelines and workflows, particularly in conjunction with technical artists
- Clear communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Multiple shipped AAA titles
- Expertise with Lumberyard or similar (UE4/Unity)
- Experience developing high-fidelity CG artwork for the film industry
- Experience directing cinematics, mocap, and CG artwork for commercials
- Strong knowledge of UI and UX
- Avid and passionate gamer
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAAexperiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.