VFX Artist (All Levels)
Cryptic Studios is looking for exceptionally talented VFX Artists to bring real-time sorcery and mayhem to the characters, creatures and world we’re creating in the Magic: The Gathering multiverse. If you like to blow things up and use smoke and mirrors to dazzle and impress, we have a place where you can channel your fascination for pyrotechnics and illusions.
EVERY DAY YOU COULD BE:
- Envisioning and creating handcrafted, real-time visual effects for our newest game in development
- Collaborating with artists, designers and engineers to visualize incredible gameplay and combat powers
- Adding life and color to our worlds through atmospherics, weather and environmental effects
- Technically implementing, integrating, troubleshooting and ensuring the performance of effects in our proprietary engine
- Iterating on game assets with fellow artists via paint overs, studies, and group critiques.
- Mentor junior Artist
Skills & Requirements
WHAT WE'D LIKE TO SEE:
- Demonstrated experience and passion for creating real-time visual effects for video games
- Extensive understanding of 3D graphics, shaders, particle systems, physics, ribbons, etc.
- Excellent sense of VFX movement, animation, timing, impact and anticipation
- Ability to visualize effects without concept art and create VFX textures and materials from scratch, matching a broad range of styles
- Strong game design awareness and ability to create effects that support and communicate gameplay
- Technical aptitude and high level of comfort working with complex, node-based systems, scripts and proprietary tools
- Proven ability to create performance-minded visual effects within established budgets
- Expert level proficiency with Photoshop and 3ds Max or equivalent 2D and 3D software
- Self-motivated, with excellent communication skills and a team-player attitude
- BA or BS degree in art or equivalent work experience
- Solid foundation in traditional art, drawing, painting, illustration and/or concept art
- Proficiency with Houdini and/or other VFX simulation tools
- Basic understanding of animation and simple rigging
- Experience using Substance Designer/Painter in a production environment
- Passion for the Magic: The Gathering franchise
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Resume and cover letter
- Portfolio or demo reel demonstrating consistently brilliant, eye-catching, real-time VFX
- An art test may be required.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Cryptic Studios is an industry leader in the development of free-to-play massively multiplayer role-playing games on PC and console. We bring popular properties to life with innovative gameplay mechanics, gorgeous graphics, and impressive sound to create an engaging and immersive player experience.
WHAT CRYPTIC OFFERS:
- A fun tight-knit team
- Full-Time role
- Paid Holiday, Sick Time & Paid Time off
- Health Insurance & Perks
- Company social events