Senior Environment Artist
The Initiative has an immediate opening for a Senior Environment Artist to create inspirational artwork to help us define the artistic vision and development pipeline. You have extensive artistic and technical expertise and ability to create immersive, living, and fully-realized environments. We're looking for a passionate, talented, and driven artist, who enjoys collaborating with others to create rich and immersive game experiences. You are versatile, have strong development and production-sense, and the expertise to inspire and mentor others to do their best work.
As an experienced Environment Artist, you will work directly with the Art and Design team and other key stakeholders across disciplines to deliver the following:
Skills & Requirements
- Collaborate with the art, design, and engineering teams to define environment art pipeline and workflows; R&D new techniques and best practices to implement into production pipeline
- Partner closely with the Art Director and leads to establish artistic style and ensure unified look and consistent quality across game environments
- Provide mentorship, feedback, and training to others on the team
- Visualize environments from concept to completion with minimal direction
- Actively contribute to growth of new start up studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent practical experience
- 6+ years of experience in designing, developing, and shipping major game systems in a published game or entertainment with market or critical acclaim
- High level expertise in Maya, ZBrush, and Photoshop or equivalent software
- Strong 2D and 3D artistic skills, with demonstrated excellence in compositional and visual storytelling skills
- Demonstrated exceptional visual and technical understanding in sculpting, 3D modeling, texturing, materials creation, baking maps, lighting, and post effects
- Strong technical knowledge to ensure assets are optimal for performance and memory
- Leadership and Management experience
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- In-depth knowledge of material/shader development and experience with Substance Designer/Painter or equivalent software
- Technical experience, profiling, scripting knowledge
How to Apply
Please include a link to your portfolio.
About the Company
The Initiative is a new first-party game studio located in Santa Monica backed by Microsoft. Our studio is about craft, creating story, innovating, and looking ahead to the next big thing.
At the Initiative, we are looking for collaborative problem solvers who want to dive into something new and create groundbreaking experiences for our players. Join us for this once in a career opportunity to help build the studio, define our culture, and create an environment to attract world-class talent.