Naughty Dog is seeking an experienced Technical Artist to join our studio. This strong communicator would work closely with Art and Engineering to develop assets, tools, and new standards and workflows – whatever it takes to push the beauty of our games to new levels!
“Technical Artist” is a very broad category, and every Technical Artist has a unique set of skills. You may consider yourself to be a generalist, of you may be laser-focused on one particular part of the pipeline. If you think you’ve got what it takes to help Naughty Dog raise the bar, we’d like to hear from you!
- Create tools to improve the art team’s efficiency (this includes Maya scripts, but also standalone scripts and software)
- Work with the engineering team to develop features, both for the game engine and for tools/asset pipelines
- Help ensure feature interfaces are user-friendly
- Develop visual features of the game, whether that’s writing shader code, pioneering new asset creation techniques, or creating technical prototypes and mockups
- Help the team develop workflows and standards for efficient content generation
- Support the content team in debugging issues with the game, tools, etc.
- Help drive framerate and memory optimization of the game
- Work within all the art departments (environment, characters, VFX, animation, etc.) to ensure all dependencies are met
- Create art assets that require high technical skill or specialist knowledge
- Additional responsibilities may be assigned as needed, or if you can show us a better way to do things!
Skills & Requirements
Requirements & Skills:
- Intermediate programming experience with scripting languages (MEL/Python/etc.) and shading languages
- Experience in C++ or related languages is a plus
- Strong artistic background and content development skills (can be modeling, texturing, lighting, or any other area where you have experience, but a strong artistic eye is a necessity!)
- Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- High-level familiarity with every aspect of game development, and how different disciplines collaborate
- Good oral and written skills
- 3+ years of production experience *Maya Preferred*
- As part of the Naughty Dog application process, candidates should expect to be given a technical interview and may be asked to complete an art test.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To apply, please visit our website: Technical Artist
The Recruiting Process
We feel it is important to let you know how the recruiting process works here at Naughty Dog. Here is what you can expect from us:
- Upon submission, you will receive an automated message stating your resume has been received and will be reviewed thoroughly by our recruiting team
- Due to the high volume of applications received, it is not possible to respond directly to each candidate.
- If you are selected, you will be contacted for an initial phone screen or test
- The next step is a second phone or Skype interview, or an invite to come out and meet us at the studio
- In the event that we choose not to move forward at any point in the recruiting process, we will let you know
- If your qualifications do not match the criteria of a current position, your resume will be kept on file for future consideration
Thank you for your interest in Naughty Dog.
About the Company
Naughty Dog is the developer of some of the most critically acclaimed and top-selling video games on PlayStation platforms, having created the classic Crash Bandicoot and Jak and Daxter series, as well as modern franchises Uncharted and The Last of Us. We have become recognized as industry leaders for our storytelling, graphics and cinematic quality in our games. The studio is currently developing Uncharted: The Lost Legacy and The Last of Us Part II.
Since Naughty Dog is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Interactive Entertainment, we also have many perks that comes from being in the Sony family – movie screenings on the Sony Pictures lots and discounts on electronics, music, movies and PlayStation hardware and software. Of course, you just can’t beat our location. Naughty Dog is based near the ocean – and beaches – in Santa Monica, California, where beautiful weather and fair temperatures grace us year-round.