Lead Concept Artist
Monolith Productions, a division of WB games Inc., seeks a Lead Concept Artist to work directly with the Director of Art, Design Leadership, Concept Artists, and Content Leads to help create and define the overall visual style of studio projects. The Lead Concept Artist will have outstanding fundamental traditional fine art skills with a deep understanding of modern concept art software/tools. The Lead Concept Artist is responsible for generating a variety of industry leading AAA character concepts, environment concepts, matte paintings, industrial design imagery, and graphic design/UI imagery to aid in the artistic development of a given project. Additionally, the Lead Concept Artist will have excellent illustration skills with an ability to create a variety of marketing materials within established studio brands and beyond. Candidate will provide direction, feedback and mentorship where applicable towards increasing quality and efficiency of studio concept art creation. The Lead Concept artist will be a student of pop culture trends across the entertainment industry. They will be fluent in a variety of artistic styles with a sharp focus on creating realistic concept art.
- Create environment concept art, matte paintings, and architecture studies.
- Create illustrations for project marketing materials.
- Create sketches and detailed renderings of props and individual environmental elements.
- Create sketches, detailed renderings and turnarounds for character and creature studies.
- Provide supplemental visual direction to team production artists to ensure visual design of content is coherent and within brand.
- Coordinate with Director of Art, Production, Concept Artists, and Content Leads on assignments for the concept art team ensuring concept art team meets milestone goals at high quality.
- Motivate, mentor and inspire concept art team, guiding them through various stages of production with clear direction.
Skills & Requirements
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience.
- Exceptional foundation art skills.
- Industry leading understanding of human anatomy with an ability to render realistic female and male concepts.
- Industry leading understanding of animal anatomy with an ability to render realistic animal and creature concepts.
- Industry leading understanding of costume design throughout human history with a focus on the medieval timeframe.
- Industry leading understanding of geography, geology, terrain, flora with an ability to render realistic environment concepts.
- Industry leading understanding of a variety of architectural styles throughout history with an application to architectural studies/concepts.
- Industry leading understanding of color theory, value structure, and lighting fundamentals with an application to both character and environment concept art.
- Industry leading understanding of material definition with an ability to render highly realistic materials as needed.
- Strong understanding of industrial design with an application in describing function and form.
- Strong understanding of modern matte painting techniques.
- Strong understanding of modern pop culture trends within the entertainment industry with an ability to successfully apply to concept art and product style.
- Must have an active, passionate interest in current video games to help drive the game to the next level.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Diligence with individual and team tasks.
- Solid organization and production skills.
- High capacity to learn new concept art tools and techniques to help increase quality and efficiency of concept art team.
- Must be proficient with 2D applications such as Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator etc.
- Solid understanding of 3D applications such as Zbrush, Maya/Max.
- Solid understanding of motion graphic software such as After Effects and Premier.
- Portfolio/website demonstrating industry leading concept art/illustration skills.
The Warner Bros. Entertainment Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran's status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation, gender identity or any other category protected by law.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply here: Lead Concept Artist
About the Company
For the past 20 years Monolith has been obsessed with delivering a unique gaming experience for our fans. Starting with Blood, our very first title - all the way to our most recent offering, Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, we are constantly pushing the envelope to combine innovative gameplay, inventive narratives, cutting edge tech & AI, and stunning visuals. We are challenging ourselves even further to ensure that our next game is going to be our best yet.
That's where you come in - for us to achieve that we need the best and brightest talent the industry has to offer. Come join us and help create our next AAA title!