CG Character/Rigging Artist
Superplastic is seeking a CG Character/Rigging Artist to help grow our character-based toy and entertainment company. Superplastic creates original characters and turns them into virtual celebrities. We also collaborate with famous artists and premier brands making the world’s most sought-after toys, streetwear, and other innovative products.
The CG Character/Rigging artist uses technical expertise to create and maintain animation control and surface deformation simulating an organic surface quality for characters used in production.
Work experience developing creatures and characters that are anatomically accurate, detailed, and easily controlled by animators, as well as tools to assist in creation and manipulation is required.
Skills & Requirements
- Work with the Animation and Art Director to create the desired animation controls and deformation qualities for characters on a project.
- Monitors effectiveness of animation controls and deformations; makes adjustments as necessary throughout the production by developing tools and techniques as needed.
- Create and maintain studio-wide solutions for character and animation pipeline.
- Takes direction from team/show lead and demonstrates initiative in brainstorming ideas.
- Actively participates in daily meetings; provides input and recommendations necessary to achieve the goal of the project.
- 2+ years of experience in CG character setup in a production environment.
- Thorough understanding of surface deformation and procedural rigging solutions.
- Production experience using Autodesk Maya.
- Strong examples showing character anatomy (as it pertains to animation).
- Solid understanding of Python in Maya.
- Experience with C++, QT, and/or PyQt.
Our ideal candidate:
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work in a team along with strong communication skills and attention to detail
- Able to take direction and apply feedback in a fluid, fast-paced production environment.
- Training in visual arts or another optically-related field.
- Animation, modeling, simulation or other complimentary production experience.
- Experience with Unreal Engine or Unity is a plus.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Email reel, cover letter and resume to 3Danimator@superplastic.co.
Should applicants be considered for employment, a test may also be required to assess competency.
About the Company
Superplastic creates original characters and turns them into virtual celebrities. We also collaborate with well-known artists and premier brands to make some of the world’s most sought-after toys, streetwear, and other innovative products.
Superplastic was founded by artist & entrepreneur Paul Budnitz (Kidrobot, Ello, Budnitz Bicycles). Well-known character artist Huck Gee is Head of Art & Design. The company is funded by 35 incredibly famous investors in New York, San Francisco, and LA.