Art Director (Multiplayer) - Gears of War - The Coalition
The Coalition is looking for a dynamic and experienced Art Director who has a proven track record directing visually impressive AAA titles and a passion for the Gears of War franchise. We are looking for an individual who has working knowledge across all major art disciplines including Environments, Characters, Concept Art, Lighting, and VFX. The Multiplayer Art Director will establish a close relationship with the internal and external multiplayer art team, setting the quality bar for all major artistic areas while demonstrating the ability to lead through influence rather than authority. You should be comfortable working with a broad spectrum of styles, from photo-realistic to highly stylized. Applicants must also be able to work effectively and efficiently in a team-oriented environment.
- Using clear and concise communication, create visual style guides to align teams on the vision for multiplayer content.
- Provide written and visual feedback to guide the internal and external art team on quality, consistency and brand style.
- Set an example by upholding the principles of The Coalition Art Team in building a creative, positive & inspiring culture for the multiplayer maps team.
- Collaborate with Technical Art Lead to remove roadblocks, ensuring art is created and assembled in a manner that is performant and to spec.
- Lead and motivate the art team to realize overall goals and deliver a successful project on time.
- Help establish, refine, and clearly communicate a vision to both the internal and external art teams and The Coalition studio leadership.
- Oversee quality and delivery of all art in multiplayer game modes. Review and approve visual assets and milestone deliverables. Provide timely and constructive feedback to the external partner.
- Serve as a source of escalation for the team, removing roadblocks and allowing work to be completed as efficiently as possible.
- Facilitate professional growth of team members by providing feedback and conducting timely 1:1 meetings.
- Work closely with Production to ensure risks are being identified and tracked and assist in the creation and overall management of the art schedule and resource plans.
Skills & Requirements
- Must have 8+ years of experience in AAA video game development. Must also have 3-5+ years of experience in a leadership capacity.
- Deep understanding of colour, tone, lighting, composition and visual storytelling.
- Must possess a solid knowledge of the production lifecycle, from concept to completion.
- Must have a passion for mentoring and sharing art methodologies with fellow artists.
- Must understand how visuals support gameplay and narrative, and be familiar with and able to evaluate competitive products.
- Previous experience as a production artist across multiple disciplines (Concept, Environments, Lighting etc.)
- Proven ability to work in a variety of art styles.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Frequent international travel will be required.
- Experience with outsourcing.
- Works well within deadlines.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply directly to the link below:
About the Company
The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in downtown Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft’s entertainment platforms and devices.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.