Concept Artist - Temporary [Brighton, UK]
CONCEPT ARTIST - TEMPORARY, Brighton, UK
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.” We are comprised of a diverse group of people, from industry veterans with experience working on big franchises, to talented former indie entrepreneurs and recent graduates. Hangar 13 is based in four vibrant locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based within our brand new Brighton location, who will partner with the other Hangar 13 sites in California and the Czech Republic to develop all of our future games as one global team. Led by General Manager Nick Baynes, Hangar 13’s Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games using bleeding-edge proprietary engine technology.
What We Need:
Hangar 13 is currently looking for an environment Concept Artist. The ideal candidate will be able to create a wide variety of detailed environment concepts, take direction well, and iterate on ideas in a team atmosphere. To be considered for this role candidates must submit a link to an online portfolio when applying.
What You Will Do:
- Create a range of assets from characters, environments and even props while maintaining the core game vision set by the Art Director and Game Designers
- Sketch explorative thumbnails in 2D and 3D
- Create concepts from early production to final render
- Create quick open line designs that communicate space and form
- Provide feedback through paint overs
- Storyboard creation
Skills & Requirements
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
We are looking for an expert level digital artist with traditional drawing and painting skills. Someone who is passionate about designing environments in an open world game setting. Since is a team effort, someone who flourishes within a collaborative atmosphere would be happiest.
- 3+ years of experience in games
- Degree in Fine Art or related experience
- Hard surface and vehicle design abilities
- Ability to quickly iterate on ideas visually
- Ability to take direction well
- Self-motivated toward solving creative problems
- Understanding of anatomy, creature and character design
- Illustration skills, deep understanding of composition, color theory, values, form, shape language, and silhouette
How to Apply
About the Company
Let's talk some truth: Making games is hard. It's a collision of art and technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There's no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint—but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. "Every Player's Story is Unique." At Hangar 13, that's why we make games. We’re currently creating an intense action game set in an immersive world and with a strong narrative, but player agency is at the heart of everything we do. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.
Hangar 13 is the newest 2K development studio. We’re focused on creating AAA games for console and PC. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. We are located just thirty minutes north of San Francisco and in production on our first title, Mafia III, available October 7, 2016. We’re currently building our own proprietary engine and tools in service of our next AAA title, still unannounced.