We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer based in Troy NY. We are focused on creating ground-breaking innovative game experiences across existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios’ team members have created, developed, and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Skylanders, Destiny, Uncharted, Rock Band, Tony Hawk, Mario Maker, Team Fortress 2, Donkey Kong Country, and Guitar Hero. Members of the team have worked at various AAA studios like Vicarious Visions, Naughty Dog, Harmonix, Nintendo, Guerilla Games, Avalanche Studios, Retro Studios, and more.
At Velan, we believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for new team members who have a desire to help grow our studio.
In March of 2019, Electronic Arts announced that EA Partners will publish Velan’s first original IP for consoles, PC, and mobile platforms.
About the Role:
We are seeking a seasoned 2D/UI Artist who will support the visual design of the User Interface in addition to 2D assets which will be created for the in-game world. The 2D/UI Artist works with the Art Director and UI/UX team to create polished, visually engaging assets and uses in-house tools to implement and animate UI.
- Create high-quality UI visual components including - icons, logos, HUD elements, illustrations, etc.
- Create quality art in-game by following visual guidelines defined by the UI/UX team or Art Director.
- Work closely with the UI/UX Team and Art Director to ensure that a visually consistent and compelling user interface is implemented across products.
- Responsible for creating easy to read concepts and taking them through to final polished 2D assets.
- Create motion graphic transitions and visual elements that bring the design to life.
- Contribute to peer reviews, troubleshoot, problem solve, and give and receive constructive feedback.
- Develop interface mockups and wireframes in addition to assisting with establishing UI style guide for review and feedback from Designers, Artists, Engineers, and Producers.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years of game industry experience on console, mobile, handheld and/or PC platforms preferred
- Degree or equivalent experience in Digital Media Design, Game Design, Illustration, or related field is desired.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in UI.
- Strong portfolio of shipped games (mobile, console, PC) or other website or software products.
- Excellent conceptual, illustration, and graphic design skills.
- Demonstrate good use of typography, iconography, composition, color theory, and motion graphics.
- Understand flow, composition, and design as they relate to the user experience.
- High level of proficiency with Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Strong organizational skills with adherence to optimization and asset management.
- Passion for making and playing great games, with an awareness of current titles and industry trends.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com. Be sure to reference the position you’re applying for in the subject line.
About the Company
Velan Studios is a new development studio made up of a diverse team of game industry veterans. We are focused on creating ground-breaking experimental game experiences across existing and emerging platforms.
Our development team members have created, developed, and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Rock Band, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Donkey Kong Country and Metroid Prime.
Our team is embarking on a mission to create innovative game experiences that will stoke the imagination and entertain. Our experience inspires us to be scrappy, respect our players, and stay curious. Check out our website to learn more!