Lighting Artist [Contract]
Purpose/Summary: Individual contributor specializing in lighting 3D environments, skilled in creating strong mood through lighting. Collaborates with environment artists, technical artists and engineers to ensure lighting in the game meets the quality established by Lighting lead and Art Director.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Creates mood through lighting of levels and cinematics that is consistent with art direction and gameplay needs.
- Establishes strong color palettes, value structures and compositions through lighting.
- Adjusts post effects for level including exposure, color grading, fog, bloom, etc.
- Communicates with level art and design to ensure lighting is achieving art and gameplay goals.
- Maintain visual continuity and performance throughout the game.
- Provide timely and clear feedback to external partners on the lighting of levels.
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS:
- Exceptional eye for color, value and composition expressed through lighting.
- Experience lighting levels for games and dealing with the challenges caused by gameplay requirements.
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and the interaction between materials and lighting
- Understanding of real-world lighting values and exposure, and how they affect an image.
- Experience using a current generation real-time lighting engine like Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc.
- Ability to follow concept/reference and the ability to work within a wide range of styles with minimal direction.
- Is self-motivated and can work through and solve problems.
- Able to manage and organize work in order to meet deadlines.
- Interested in the study and expression of light through photography or painting is a plus.
- Experience using an industry standard renderer like Arnold, Renderman, V-ray, Octane, Mitsuba, etc. is a plus.
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.