Technical Character Artist
As a Technical Character Artist, you will be working alongside a talented character team. Providing technical guidance and defining art workflow and pipelines as well as driving forward cutting-edge visuals.
You will be joining the studio in a key role at pivotal time as we scale up to develop an ambitious and ground breaking open-world game. The role brings the opportunity of making a significant personal contribution to a high-profile project.
We believe in iterative development, and you will need to be comfortable working in a fluid environment with competing demands.
Skills & Requirements
- Work closely with the Art Director and Lead Character Artist to define and maintain art workflows.
- Character shader research and development.
- Collaborate with the animation/rigging team ensuring all character best practises are being adhered to.
- Assist the animation team with character setups and skinning.
- Liaise with engine team to troubleshoot issues and find solutions.
- Provide guidance to character artists encouraging best working practices and strong asset organisation.
- Proactively provide suggestions on how to utilise new technologies and tools and implement them into our workflow.
- Provide clear guidance on technical performance constraints and help define character asset budgets.
- Clearly communicate and document art production pipelines.
- Strong knowledge of game engines and the technical constraints and challenges of game development.
- Experience with 3D modelling tools such as 3ds Max, Maya, or ZBrush, in a videogame environment.
- Strong technical understanding of character art pipelines, memory and rendering budgets.
- Understanding of character rigging and skinning pipelines/workflows.
- Strong communication skills, and comfortable working across multiple teams.
- Understanding of modern procedural asset creation techniques (Scanning, Marvellous).
- Strong interest in the latest advancements in video game graphics and visual trends.
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (such as Python, C++).
- 2 years minimum experience as Technical Artist in the games industry.
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded by industry legend Leslie Benzies, we are developing an ambitious and ground-breaking open-world multiplayer game that simulates and fuses the real world with the virtual.
A mix of experienced AAA veterans whose credits include some of the biggest-selling and most loved games of all time, and talented hungry new blood, we are dedicated to creating a creative environment where the best ideas flourish and everyone is able to contribute their best work and be recognised for it.
We have offices in Edinburgh, Los Angeles, and Budapest.