Lead Technical Animator
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Lead Technical Animator at Certain Affinity, you will get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world's biggest shooters and contribute to our proprietary technology. This role requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our pipeline management and tools creation for our studio art team. If you have a desire to create world-class characters and enjoy technical work, we'd like to hear from you.
- Ability to write tools to facilitate Tech Animation and Animation Pipeline
- Proficient in coding and the ability to set up modular rigging pipeline
- Establish and promote coding standards within the tech animation department
- Ability to manage and mentor multiple personnel on multiple projects and be the spokesperson for Tech Animation
- Collaborate with character artists, animators, and tools programmers to develop animation rigs and pipelines for characters, vehicles, and props
- Support the modeling and animation teams by advising on topology & deformation, maintaining rigs and pipelines, troubleshooting, and implementing the desired functionality
- Implement and troubleshoot in-game assets
- Maximize aesthetic quality while respecting and enforcing project performance constraints
- Research and implement in-engine dynamic solutions such as hair, cloth, ragdolls, etc.
- Maintain and polish in-engine animation state machines
- Explore, document, promote, and integrate cutting-edge processes and techniques to help keep studio animation quality competitive
- Seek ways to improve and streamline art pipelines, drive quality, and improve team efficiency
Skills & Requirements
- 5 years' experience in rigging and skinning characters, creatures, vehicles, and props
- Expert-level proficiency with Autodesk Maya
- Mastery of Python scripting for extending content creation tools and automating tasks
- Experience in Unreal Engine 4
- Strong knowledge of facial rigging and deformation
- Possess an approachable, customer-oriented demeanor
- Strong communication skills and desire to collaborate with art, design, and engineering
- Experienced in ramping up a technical animation team in a variety of engines and toolsets
- Experience with performance capture systems within Motionbuilder
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- A deep passion for games
- Animation key-framing
- Knowledge of C++ or C#
- Experience writing Maya plug-ins
- FBX SDK
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada, last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
CA has built a strong reputation as the go-to co-development partner for AAA action titles, with recent contributions to World of Tanks, Call of Duty, and DOOM. In fact, the highly prolific studio has been the lead developer or co-developer on more than 25 products across 13 different franchises, with combined sales of more than 100 million units. The company’s leadership has taken a calculated, long-term approach to building the business, and is proud of its track record in its first 10 years: profitable every year and never once laying anyone off.
Certain Affinity’s rare exposure to so many top-tier developers, publishers, technologies, and franchises has helped the company build a one of a kind, world-class team and studio ready to take the helm on original game development. The company’s 10-year anniversary marked a significant shift towards lead development, and in addition to continued co-dev work, the company has two full games in development, one licensed IP and one original IP. Certain Affinity is excited to see what the next 10 years hold.