Senior Character Artist
We are looking for a seasoned Senior Character Artist to join our team at the Avalanche/WB Games Studio in Salt Lake City, Utah. This role is for an experienced game artist who has vast 3d experience in all facets of the character pipeline.
This position requires a technical mind to understand our various pipelines and help us continue to improve our current pipelines as technology advances and help to make our processes better. An artistic/ technical hybrid candidate with a fun, easy going personality with hard working ethics and a proven record of experience is most welcome.
This candidate will not only help polish assets and get character assets into our Unreal Character Creator, but will also play an integral “technical” part within our existing head/morph system, hair system, clothing system, texture system, fur system, skin system, and all other character related “systems” etc.
This person must understand Unreal and the PBR workflow in creating packed textures and setting up Materials that work in the Unreal Environment. You should have a deep understanding of texture maps, UVs, baking, and extracting textures from scanned data is essential. You must understand Substance Painter, Zbrush, Maya, topology, and game optimization.
One week you might be working on a character or a clothing piece, the next, you might be polishing characters from Outsource. The following week, you might be involved refining our head/morph system. You must be flexible and be able to multitask and ready to take on any challenge that presents itself.
We are a relatively small team for a AAA game, but we have a lot of fun, laugh a lot, and work hard together. A happy, hard-working attitude goes a long way.
What part will you play?
- Work closely with Dept. Lead over all character related pipelines.
- Document workflows and pipelines within a character style guide.
- Create both Organic and Hard Surface Models.
- Knowledge of various character pipelines.
- Create high resolution source assets in an industry standard sculpting/modeling package (Zbrush, Maya).
- Create low-poly, efficient, animation ready assets from high resolution source assets.
- Create animation ready topology.
- Create textures using a variety of styles - from photo realistic to hand-painted.
- Prepare outsourced work for integration to the game.
- Prove to be a “GameMaker” by assisting in the creation of other game-ready assets such as environment pieces, props, etc. as needed.
- Work in Unreal.
Skills & Requirements
What do we require from you?
- A solid background in traditional art and a demonstrated knowledge of Human and Animal Anatomy.
- 5+ years in game development modeling and texturing 3D assets.
- Shipped a AAA title as a character artist.
- Rigging knowledge is helpful as is an understanding of hair/fur.
- Familiar with PBR workflow.
- Technical and Artistic abilities.
- Expert skills with Maya, Zbrush, Unreal, Adobe / Photoshop, Substance Painter, 3d Coat, and Marmoset.
- Excellent communications skills. Flexible and easy-going attitude takes direction well.
- Team player who works well with co-workers and other departments.
- Attention to detail.
- Bonus skills:
- Substance Designer
- Marvelous Designer
- 3D Generalist (understanding of 3d pipeline)
**Online Portfolio required**
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
At WB Games we are bringing some of the most iconic characters and stories in entertainment to life through videogame development. Passion is the cornerstone of everything we do, and we are committed to creating fun and engaging games for our fans. We are home to eight world class development studios located across North America and the UK, including Monolith Productions, NetherRealm Studios, Rocksteady Studios, TT Games, WB Games Boston, WB Games Montreal, WB Games San Francisco, WB Games NY, Avalanche and Playdemic.