Previz & Layout Team Lead
The position of Previz & layout Department Lead requires someone with a strong understanding of a previz workflow within production and a strong technical knowledge of cameras and Layout.
This profile will also serve as a mentor for all Previz Artists within the Previz & layout Department.
Successful applicants should have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast-paced production.
Expected to contribute to the Brown Bag’s Previz and Layout Workflow and Technical Pipeline.
Key Responsibilities :
- Establish geography, functionality and Layout of location assets by building simple clean previz geometries and feeding these assets to Modelling
- Previz key animation sequences with an emphasis on camera, staging, timing and functionality of a sequence.
- Work closely with the Directors on sequence layout and location blocking.
- Create shipment notes to effectively direct the external studios on cameras and layout of episodes in production
- Deliver a weekly quota of assigned tasks as set by Production Management
- Provide regular progress updates to Production Manager and CG Supervisor on any technical/workflow bottlenecks within that project’s previz and layout schedule.
- Supervises the quality of the work delivered from the external studios and ensure the outsource partners have clear direction.
- Provide management, leadership and support for the in-house and external previz teams, both creatively and technically, to facilitate the completion of previz and layout assignments on schedule
Department Team management responsibilities:
Act as line Manager for a team of 4 to 8 team members. responsibilities include:
- team member performance issues related to workflow and pipeline appraisals
- Weekly one to one’s with DRs
- Mentor and train other Previz Leads how to properly set up and organize Previz tasks for their shows
- Collaborate closely with VFX Supervisor and Pipeline Dept to help evolve the Previz and - Layout Workflow and Technical Pipeline including documentation
- Help to improve efficiency, which includes assisting upstream departments with how they must deliver assets into the Previz Department properly
- Help reinforce that all technical guidelines, workflows and rules are understood and are followed correctly
- Provide leadership and support for the Lead Previz Artists, both creatively and technically, and ensure they partner effectively with Production Management and they deliver their goals
- Hold bi-weekly meetings with previz department to ensure the team is working collaboratively
Skills & Requirements
- Must have at least 4 years’ experience working as a Previz/Layout Artist Lead (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work
- Clear communication and follow through on tasks
- Must have a decent working knowledge of Maya
- Must have an excellent understanding of visual storytelling for layout and composition.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of animation principles, camera set-up and previz/proxy modelling in Maya.
- Must have a good sense of pacing and timing in Animation
- Must have decent problem-solving skills and attention to detail and quality.
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Experience in CG Previz pipeline development a big plus
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast-paced production
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Brown Bag Films are one of Europe’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios and is part of the 9 Story Media Group, with locations in Toronto, Dublin, Manchester, New York and Bali.
Making stand out/exceptional content for kids is at the heart of everything we do, and our bar is always set to “excellent” when it comes to the quality of our work. Our studios are highly collaborative spaces, where mentoring and on the job training is built into our daily practices. Our team members benefit from competitive compensation packages, working on award-winning 2D and 3D content, a thriving work culture and maybe too much cake!
We recently celebrated Brown Bag Films Dublin's 25th Birthday!
See how we've grown.....