Technical Artist (Rigger)
Do you have the drive to solve tricky challenges and a thirst for innovation? Are you determined to make the best games possible? You could be our next Junior Technical Artist at Rare!
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, working on 2 completely unique projects including Sea of Thieves, our ultimate Pirate adventure and the recently announced Everwild.
You will be part of a growing dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible. Working with the Art, Engineering and Design teams, you will have the opportunity to develop flexible content pipelines. You will also work collaboratively on new cutting-edge features with the Programming teams, whilst always searching for ways we can improve.
Rare's games have always had a unique and iconic style to their art direction and our teams are essential in making that happen. If you want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you!
- Work with the Art teams to deliver our game's artistic vision.
- Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties.
- Implement briefs provided by other teams, delivering reliable tools in a realistic timeframe.
- Proactively identify new technologies and techniques that will improve the game.
- Create concise documentation of toolsets that the team can rely on when required.
- Help keep assets and content within memory budget and follow performance guidelines.
Skills & Requirements
- A professional portfolio or technical blog.
- Degree in a related subject or equivalent development experience.
- Relevant game development experience and contribution to creating tools for artists.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++/HLSL.
- Knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya/MotionBuilder etc.)
- Interest in cloth and rigid/soft body physics setup.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current game development practices and terminology.
- Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent.
- Problem-solving skills.
- A broad technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilise new skills quickly.
- Excellent communication skills; a proactive and organised individual.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Working remotely is an option
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects in the works at Rare! Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our other games include Rare Replay, a compilation of 30+ games from our rich history including Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata and many more! As a studio with a lot of ideas, we are always striving to build games players will adore and return to time and time again.
Set in the heart of the English countryside at our custom-built facility in Twycross, UK, we employ around 150+ game developers working together.
As an Artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgable people in the industry. Our artists are what make Rare's games so recognisable with an iconic style and characters cherished by players worldwide. Why not join us and make your mark on one of the world's most loved studios?