Technical Art Director
ABOUT SPLASH DAMAGE
Located in the London borough of Bromley, Splash Damage is all about crafting the world's most engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4. We're growing our studio for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented and passionate developers to help create them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times’s Best Companies accreditation three years running.
We believe our teams create better experiences when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
As a Technical Art Director, you will be responsible for Splash Damage's Technical Art team on an exciting new project. You will maintain a consistently high standard of support across all disciplines on the project, and work with other Technical Artists in the studio to improve general development practises. How can we give an edge to our technology? What new tech should we invest in? How can we efficiently materialize the Art Direction vision into the game? These are the kind of questions you ask yourself in setting team-wide Artistic goals and driving toward them.
You should have a pragmatic and practical approach to working with technology, with experience of pushing the technical limits and ensuring the Art team can work efficiently and comfortably. If you think you’ve got what it takes to help Splash Damage raise the bar and strive for excellence, we’d like to hear from you!
As Splash Damage’s Technical Art Director, you will:
- Be a key contributor to the long-term vision for technical art and graphics in the studio
- Manage a small, skilled team of Technical Artists
- Work with the Art, Engineering, and Production departments to ensure all dependencies are met
- Liaise with external partners (Publisher and Outsourcers)
- Drive the planning and implementation of game, editor, DCC and standalone Art tools
- Assist the engineering team with implementing Art-related tools and features
- Support the Art team in debugging tools or game related issues
- Drive the game’s run-time performance and memory consumption optimizations
- Drive state of the art visuals that complement the game design and help deliver an exceptional product
- Pioneer new content creation techniques, this can include prototypes and mock-ups
- Develop new graphical features for our game and author Art content that require high technical expertise
- Mentor and help the Art team develop workflows and high standards for efficient content generation
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Perks and Benefits
Alongside our brand-new headquarters, stocked up drinks fridge and a never-ending supply of coffee, all of our roles come complete with the following perks and benefits:
- Private medical insurance that will covers you, your partner, and children
- Private dental insurance that significantly reduces cost of dentistry for you, your partner, and children
- Pension scheme where the company matches your contribution
- Complimentary gym membership
- Free eye tests + discounted glasses
- Quarterly revenue share after 1 year of service
- Brand new state of the art office
- Life drawing classes, and massage allowance
- Free fruit juices and soft drinks + Beer and pastries on a Friday.
- Childcare voucher scheme
- Employee assistance program
- Referral fee
Find out more on our Perks & Benefits page.
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of experience as a Senior or Lead Technical Artist on shipped AAA titles
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong proactive problem-solving attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Demonstrable knowledge of modern game content creation workflows
- Must have a strong digital Art background (modelling, shading, lighting, VFX)
- Extensive knowledge of Unreal Tech, this includes applications such as Material creation and BluePrint
- Extensive application scripting experience (e.g. Python, C#), especially for DCC applications (Maya is preferred)
- Solid understanding of real-time physically-based materials & rendering (PBR)
- Passion for games and game development
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Experience with the Substance suite and Houdini
- Vector Maths knowledge
- Knowledge of lower level programming languages such as C++
- Knowledge of shading languages, e.g. HLSL, GLSL, cg or pssl
- Experience with outsourcing processes
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply on our careers page : https://careers.splashdamage.com/job/oUIU8fwo
We review every application which is sent to us and due to the amount we receive this can often cause a delay in our feedback response. Please provide your CV, Portfolio ( if necessary ) and a Cover Letter. As we receive hundreds of applications for our live roles try to make your application stand out from the rest, show us something fun and unique which really displays your character and assets!
About the Company
Splash Damage is famous for crafting blockbuster multiplayer experiences from our studio in Greater London. Our recent projects include multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb and Gears of War 4.
We're currently expanding for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented, passionate superstars to help build them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times’s Best Companies accreditation four years running, placing in the Top 100 Best Companies in 2018. Come join us!