Principal Concept Artist
As a Principal Concept Artist you will be an expert in your field. Working as part of a focused team Reporting to the Art Director, you will be able to creatively express ideas quickly and effectively able to adapt very quickly to established work process, set styles and work deadlines.
- Create outstanding concept artwork that help guide the tone, mood, aesthetic as defined by the Art Director.
- Create character, creature, weapons, item concepts including detailed callouts for production ready assets creation.
- Iterate on game assets via paint overs, studies, and group critiques to improve overall art quality of any given element.
- Take art and design requirements and provide creative solutions to challenging briefs
- Help others to consistently reach that bar by mentoring and guiding more junior or less experienced colleagues.
Skills & Requirements
Rare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in game development as a 2D Artist specialising in Game Art/Illustration.
- Strong understanding of digital art creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter etc
- An excellent foundation in illustration skills and deep understanding of human / creature anatomy, colour theory, shape and form, language and silhouette.
- Great eye for light, value, composition, colour, staging, architecture and detail in environmental design
- Comfortable working in a pre-defined Art Style or able to explore the undefined
- Self-motivation, excellent communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Have shipped several AAA Console/PC titles as a Senior Concept Artist
- Creative and passionate approach to problem solving
- Able to take and interpret direction and criticism
- Understanding of 3D pipelines ( Zbrush, Blender, Maya experience)
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and Art teams
- A love of stylised artwork/games
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To apply, please click on the following link to the Microsoft Careers Website: https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/job/420298/Principal-Concept-Artist
About the Company
Established in 1985 to focus on the expanding console market, we partnered with Nintendo and quickly sealed a reputation for quality with titles including Battletoads, Donkey Kong Country and GoldenEye. The acquisition of Rare by Microsoft Game Studios came about in 2002 after a colossally successful run of titles throughout the 1990s. We went on to support the Xbox 360 debut with two of the three launch games, Kameo: Elements of Power and Perfect Dark Zero. Subsequent years saw us innovate with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, the addictive Viva Piñata franchise and our pioneering work on Xbox 360 Avatars. In more recent years our investigations into cutting-edge motion control resulted in the multi-million-selling, double BAFTA-winning Kinect Sports series. With development now firmly established for Xbox One and Windows 10, we're hard at work here in our custom-built English countryside HQ, galvanised by the opportunity to celebrate our incredible heritage with the Rare Replay anniversary collection while looking ahead to brand new shared world adventures in Sea of Thieves. Here's to 30 more years!