Technical Artist - LA
Cloud Imperium Games is seeking a talented and accomplished Technical Artist to join the Star Citizen team in Los Angeles, CA. This position will be instrumental in developing the processes, tools and pipelines that will enable the creation of the content for Star Citizen and Squadron 42. We are seeking that rare combination of artist and technical wizard, who possesses a strong artistic vision, but also the skills to solve complex technical challenges within the tools and the game engine.
Skills & Requirements
- Work closely with the artists and team leads to carry out the technical and aesthetic vision of the game.
- Help shape and evolve art pipelines, including proprietary tools, software, plug-ins, and game technology.
- Collaborate with game designers, artists, and engineers to ensure that technical art toolset is serving the project needs.
- Ensure art assets are integrated into the Lumberyard Engine from Autodesk 3DSMax, meeting artistic and technical requirements.
- Identify potential and recurring workflow problems and collaborate with other developers to come up with viable solutions.
- Create and maintain documentation for tools, conventions and procedures.
- Provide technical support to the art and design teams.
- Ensures art assets are integrated into the Lumberyard Engine from Autodesk 3DSMax, meeting artistic and technical requirements.
- Investigates new techniques, assists in prototyping and helps other developers with technical roadblocks.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in game development serving in a technical art role.
- Autodesk 3DSMax
- Hard-Surface Modeling / Texturing / UV Layout
- Skinning / Rigging
- Photoshop Texturing
- Familiar with XML or JSON
- Self-motivated, good communication skills, and a great team-player.
- Proven problem-solving skills, along with the ability to rapidly prototype.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- One or more game titles shipped in a technical role.
- Demonstrated initiative and relentless motivation to tackle complex technical challenges.
- Mastery in one or more technical skills including tools scripting, shader development, visual effects, or lighting.
- Skilled in one or more related disciplines – concept, visual effects, UI/UX or modelling.
- Ability to step through and learn an existing codebase while adhering to an established code style.
- PBR Material Creation
- Autodesk Maya
- Mel / Python
- Visual Studio
- C++ , C#
How to Apply
No Recruiters or Agencies Please
Please Note: Individuals submitting resumes or otherwise responding to employment opportunities are NOT considered applicants until they apply for a particular position and have been invited to complete the company’s employment application.
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAAexperiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.